Math 308 is a Service Learning Project class designed for future math teachers at elementary school level.
The focus of this class is on …
- Helping students to become inspirational and creative teachers of mathematics.
- Placing students at the heart of teaching, in math classrooms at University Preparation School in Camarillo, where they work with experienced math teachers completing Service Learning Project.
- Exploring concepts in Geometry, Probability, and Statistics while discussing ways to present these concepts in the classroom.
- Providing prospective elementary teachers with core mathematics and various methods to integrate into the classroom curriculum.
- Getting familiar with the content and philosophy of national and state standards.
- Engaging university students through combination of lectures, discussions (small groups and the whole class), and other in-class activities.
- Making classroom a special environment where students work collaboratively with their peers.
- Promoting students learning and growth by sharing ideas and applications, and constructive evaluation of ] each-other’s work.